Friday, May 12, 2017

May's "Motherlung" Mother's Day, Pub Madness, and More Miscellanousness

May 2017

Okay, "miscellanousness" isn't a word, but writers get literary license. I took my quota for the day with that one.

While May is a hard month for me, I also love this month full of my birthday and honoring my mother, stepmother, aunt, and all the mother-figures I've had in my life. The hard part of May comes with my mother's birthday and Mother's Day as I miss her terribly.

Still, May has been an exciting month for many reasons.

Tomorrow, May 13th, I am reading from "Motherlung" at Steep N Brew West Madison.


I'm immensely excited to share with you an interview and reading I did for WMUU radio with host, James Roberts. I read a sample of "Motherlung" poems as well as reveal my latest work - the first time these poems stumble out of my mouth and into the public realm!
Click here to hear the interview. 

In a few months, the Eager Free Library in my town of Evansville has invited me to speak to their writers group on the topic of publication. Given the fact that my flurry of submissions since last September has resulted in an exciting flurry of acceptances (love!), I've also received a plethora of rejections, as I've mentioned before (still love!) and so I am passionate about encouraging other writers to rethink their idea of rejection.

July 3rd, an old friend from my music/poetry open mic days, Seth Hoffman, will be performing his playful music as I read classic poetry to Alzheimer residents at an assisted living facility.

As mentioned above, the rejection letters still roll in, but I have had more acceptances which is still extremely humbling and exciting. So I'll have work forthcoming in The Drowning Gull: Sea Salt Series and THAT Literary Review.

I wish you a beautiful May - may you find hidden surprises behind every flower and in every raindrop.

No comments:

Post a Comment